7 Best and Worst Home Remedies for Haemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are also known as Piles.
- Basically, these are swollen veins in your lower rectum and anus similar to varicose veins. Hemorrhoids have a number of etiological factors but the exact cause is unknown. They may result from the increased pressure on these veins during pregnancy or from straining during bowel movements. Hemorrhoids are of 2 types- it may be located inside the rectum which is called as internal hemorrhoids, or they may develop under the skin around the anus which are called as external hemorrhoids.
What is the Prevalence of Haemorrhoids
- These are very common but it most commonly occurs after adulthood.
- According to some studies, 3 out of 4 people suffers from hemorrhoids.
- Sometimes hemorrhoids are asymptomatic but sometimes, they can cause symptoms like discomfort, itching, and bleeding also.
- Sometimes clotting can also occur within the hemorrhoids resulting in a very painful condition but these can easily be drained.
What are the Etiological factors of Haemorrhoids
In hemorrhoids, the veins around your anus tend to stretch resulting in bulging and swelling. Hemorrhoids can develop from increased pressure in the lower rectum due to reasons which are listed below:
- Sitting for long periods of time on the toilet
- Straining during bowel movements
- Chronic diarrhea
- Low-fiber diet
- Anal intercourse
- Hemorrhoids most commonly occur with increasing age because the tissues that support the veins in the rectum and anus can stretch and weaken.
What are the Symptoms of Haemorrhoids
- The symptoms of hemorrhoids usually depend on the part affected.
- Internal hemorrhoids- This kind of hemorrhoids lie inside the rectum. These hemorrhoids can’t be seen or felt, and they rarely cause any discomfort to the patient. While passing stool straining and irritation can occur and damage hemorrhoid’s surface resulting in bleeding.
- Sometimes straining can push an internal hemorrhoid via anal opening. This is known as a prolapsed or protruding hemorrhoid and can lead to pain and irritation.
- External haemorrhoids-These are present under the skin around your anus. When irritated, external hemorrhoids can result in bleeding and itching.
- Thrombosed hemorrhoids- occasionally blood may pool in an external hemorrhoid and form a clot which is also called as thrombus which can result in severe pain, inflammation, swelling and a hard lump near your anus.
The Most Commonly seen Symptoms are:
- Bleeding might occur which is usually painless while passing stools —bright red blood can be seen on your toilet or tissue of the toilet.
- Irritation or itching in your anal region
- Swelling or lump formation around your anus
- A lump may form near the anus, which might be painful or sensitive (maybe a thrombosed hemorrhoid)
What is the Treatment Approach for Haemorrhoids
Black cumin seeds
- It is one of the most effective remedies for the management of hemorrhoids.
- The consumption of black cumin seeds helps in supporting and improving the health of gastrointestinal tract.
- It provides relief in problems like gastritis, bloating, digestion, peptic ulcers, flatulence, heartburn, stomach-aches.
- It also helps in bowel movements.
- Roast the black cumin seeds, grind it and regularly take half teaspoon of roasted cumin powder with warm water for a great relief.
- Make a paste by mixing one tablespoon of black cumin powder with water. Apply this paste to the anal region and leave it for 15-20 minutes and doing this twice daily will help in relieving hemorrhoids.
- It is also considered as the best remedy for the treatment of piles due to its laxative properties.
- It also helps in easy bowel movements.
- The relief from pain and inflammation can be achieved due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Soak 3-4 figs in water for 6-8 hours and then consume it daily on empty stomach.It will be very beneficial for the treatment of hemorrhoids.
- It helps in easy passage of loose stools due to its natural laxative properties.
- Take 1 tablespoon of grated radish with honey.
- Daily intake of fresh radish juice helps in getting rid of hemorrhoids.
Bitter gourd juice
- Due to its natural laxative properties, it also helps in the treatment of hemorrhoids.
- Daily intake of 30-40ml fresh juice of bitter gourd in the morning helps in treating piles.
- It helps in the treatment of all the types of hemorrhoids.
- Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it helps in treating pain in hemorrhoids.
- Apply fresh Aloe Vera to the affected area for relief from external hemorrhoids.
- Daily intake of 20ml of fresh Aloe Vera juice from the fresh leaves will help in relieving the hemorrhoids.
- For the treatment of pain, swelling and irritation, it is believed to be the best home remedy.
- Daily intake of a glass of buttermilk will help in the management of hemorrhoids.
- As it is rich in fiber, it helps in the management of hemorrhoids.
- Before going to bed, take 1-2 teaspoon of Triphala powder. It will help in treating hemorrhoids.
Worst Remedies for Haemorrhoids
Less water intake
- Daily intake of fewer than 7-8 glasses of water will not be helpful in the treatment of hemorrhoids.
- Avoid eating spicy food item especially red chilies, as its consumption leads to irritation in the stomach.
- Do not take spicy food item and even think thrice before having spicy food otherwise it will lead to painful and irritated bowel movements.
- Do not eat a banana, if you are suffering from piles.
- Unripe bananas have some constipating factors which result in pain and inflammation.
Sitting for a longer time
- If you continuously sit for hours in one position, the piles will not get healed.
- Do not consume alcohol, if you are suffering from hemorrhoids as it may lead to dehydration of gut.
- It can also lead to disrupted digestive balance.
- Dairy products can lead to gas formation in the stomach, abdominal cramps, and constipation. Milk, cheese, and more products during a flare-up of the disease can be harmful. So, reduce daily consumption of dairy products.
- Do not take bath with cold water and do not drink cold water will never lead to treating the hemorrhoids.